Table of Contents Hide
- Basic Concepts in Educational Technology and Objectives of Educational Technology
- Basic Concepts in Educational Technology and Importance of Educational Technology
- Basic Concepts in Educational Technology and Types of Educational Technology
- Basic Concepts in Educational Technology and 10 Concepts of Technological Education
What are the basic concepts in educational technology and what are the different types of educational technology? The importance of educational technology cannot be undermined but first, let us define what education is. The process whereby learning is facilitated or where there is an acquisition of knowledge, various skill sets, or even various morals and values and which results in one’s personality development is called Education.
What education does is, it tries to bring out the best in individuals both understanding-wise and at a deeper more intrinsic level. This is step one in understanding the basic concepts in educational technology and basic concepts of technology for teaching and learning.
The concept of technology is the incorporation of a science or study of a specific art or skill. When the two terms are merged there are multiple interpretations that are born. One of the best ways to throw light on the basic concepts in educational technology is to look at the different interpretations of these two terms when merged together.
Talking about types of educational technology, one way of looking at the terms education and technology is to look at the provision of technology towards educational purposes. Here either one is provided with technical instruments or electronic devices like computers for the purpose of education.
The second way to understand types of educational technology and education and technology is via the involvement of various scientific principles in the field of education.
The third way to look at the two terms is to think of an amalgamation where both the first way and the second way are merged and one gets a better output. This means there is a more practical application of systems or what is known as technology to the field of education. In such circumstances, all the stakeholders involved benefit from it.
The basic concepts in educational technology and basic concepts of technology for teaching and learning take birth here. Going ahead the objectives of educational technology will be discussed as also the importance of educational technology.
Basic Concepts in Educational Technology and Objectives of Educational Technology
What are the basic concepts in educational technology and what are the types of educational technology? One aspect that needs to be discussed when talking about the basic concepts in educational technology and basic concepts of technology for teaching and learning is to understand what are the objectives of educational technology. There are multiple objectives of educational technology.
What are the basic concepts in educational technology? The primary objective of educational technology is always to improve the quality of education or how knowledge is disseminated. The way this is enabled is to improve the overall learning experience of the learner. This can be achieved by inspiring new pathways of higher thinking and better thinking in terms of creativity and innovation in the learner.
The knowledge about basic concepts in educational technology and basic concepts of technology for teaching and learning is incomplete without looking at the various objectives of educational technology. These can be categorized into
- Macro objectives of educational technology
- Micro objectives of educational technology.
A few Macro objectives of educational technology
- At a community level, identify the educational requirements of the community at large.
- To design a curriculum that would have a healthy mixture and inclusion of science, arts, and human values
- To generate suitable systems and tools which would support educational purposes
- To manage the end-to-end aspects of the complete education system which will mean development and execution to application and assessment.
A few Micro objectives of educational technology
- To identify the educational requirements of each individual students
- To fix and mention the specific behavioral classroom objectives
- To identify the accessible instruction and knowledge resources and materials
- To provide feedback to both teachers and students if there is any requirement for change in the existing teaching and learning procedure.
Basic Concepts in Educational Technology and Importance of Educational Technology
Taking our discussion on what are the basic concepts in educational technology? Technology has single-handedly brought out a revolution of sorts especially in education. The children are every bit the digital nomads that they are described to be. And for the simple reason that the current generation is brought up technology-savvy, education with technology is easily absorbed.
Educational technology does precisely that. The importance of educational technology is realized in the fact that it brings the learner close to education and the learner becomes a joyful part of the teaching-learning exercise. The core objectives of the teaching-learning exercise are achieved thus.
What are the basic concepts in educational technology? The importance of educational technology is in the ability to jump over the limitations presented by traditional learning systems and mechanisms. For example, there is a limit to the content provided by learning resources like textbooks. With technology, students can be provided a wide bouquet of resources that can be accessed with ease.
Another importance of educational technology and the benefit it provides is achieved when the student is provided an easy link with the school. The technology plays the role of a bridge whereby the student gets access to not just the teaching-learning resources, it provides a platform for students to connect, interact, learn and even practice the learning.
The provision of gadgets to students helps teachers create a flipped classroom, which is such an important aspect of modern education. The concept of experiential education has become a reality thanks to hand-held gadgets, 3D movies, and easy access to information that can be accessed by students with the click of a button. This is yet another importance of educational technology.
For bringing in basic concepts of technology for teaching and learning institutions should do away with the old ways of imparting education and bring in the latest technology-based education system.
Basic Concepts in Educational Technology and Types of Educational Technology
Basic concepts of technology for teaching and learning offer numerous alternatives and types of educational technology.
The first type of educational technology is Synchronous and Asynchronous learning systems. The basic concept in educational technology being offered here is that the learning is not limited to the inside of a classroom. Learning can take place both inside and outside the classroom. All it needs is a willing student and an enabling technology.
Synchronous means teaching and learning which happens simultaneously within a virtual classroom or over other tech-enabled platforms or such other platforms that can make students discuss jointly and use the chat room for collaborations.
Asynchronous means teaching and learning is not done in real-time. The students have access to educational resources and pursue knowledge acquisition at one’s own pace. The resources are either blogs, emails, discussion boards among others.
The second type of educational technology is Linear Learning. Here the student makes use of computer-enabled video teaching-learning resources over mobile applications or web browsers to access content and learn at their own pace.
The third type of educational technology is collaborative learning and another innovation in the modern educational space. Collaborative learning offers learners the opportunities to explore numerous areas collectively. What works as an advantage in these types of educational technology is that learners are able to delve together, analyze cases, share information, and provide ideas.
Basic Concepts in Educational Technology and 10 Concepts of Technological Education
When bringing in a discussion on basic concepts in educational technology and basic concepts of technology for teaching and learning it will be incomplete without discussing some of the concepts of technological education that are implemented by teachers and educators worldwide.
As a summary of this article, the 10 concepts of Technological education are provided. Some of the 10 concepts of Technological education are high potential innovations being adopted worldwide.
- Mobile learning: Out of the 10 concepts of technological education nothing has revolutionized the world of education more than personal devices like smartphones and tablets that students bring to the classroom. Some educational institutions also provide students with devices that are solely used for educational purposes.
- Blended learning: This is a concept that has been widely accepted thanks to the ongoing pandemic. This takes the 10 concepts of technological education to another level as teachers and educators can give the whole digital learning a trial run with a few digital activities in their physical classes.
- Learning for differently-abled: Alternative input devices and screen readers provide a perfect balance to differently-abled learners by hand holding them through the teaching learning systems. This is one of the most important concepts out of the 10 concepts of technological education.
- Lamp and Sensory enhancers: Once again aimed at the differently abled learners, these innovations are part of the 10 concepts of technological education that once again provide an even footing to learners with learning difficulties.
- Learning analytics: The world has moved to data mining. Everything from the time a student remains in a lecture to tracking student performance and initiatives both in class and outside has helped many educators.
- Online grading systems: This not only helps keep the data of the students at a single location, it is a ready reckoner for parents wanting to track the performance of their wards.
- LMS: commonly known as the learning management systems, these innovative tools have single handedly changed the way teaching -learning is exercised world over.
- Open content: Every major university worth its weight in salt today has developed MOOCs or what is known as Massive Open Online Courses, where knowledge dissemination happens at such a huge scale with a learner base spread across continents.
- Gamification: Nothing works better than applying fun to the whole teaching learning exercise. Gamification helps in such cases.
- Multimedia incorporation: Many topics can easily be discussed with the help of various multimedia platforms and the content. This also helps students understand concepts better.
In summary, basic concepts in educational technology have a far reaching effect in the field of learning and are set to bring in more innovation. Wait and watch!